Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The scourge of classical theism

Not wanting the first thing people see upon visiting my blog to be a posting about Victoria Olsteen, I've decided I will try my hands at a topical series. I've not had much inspiration by way of blog post topics lately, so maybe taking up a series will help motivate me to write.

I'm going to write up a series on "the scourge of classical theism." I am a classical theist, one especially influenced by the neoplatonist Plotinus and the scholastic Thomas Aquinas. I find that most critical treatments of classical theism I read are really very poor, and that more often than not they do not betray a close familiarity with the system of thought that motivates it. This is true, for instance, of An Introduction to Christian Theology (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2010), by Richard J. Plantinga, Thomas R. Thompson, and Matthew D. Lundberg.

I'm going to be posting short critical posts, focusing mostly on the fourth chapter of their book, "A Tale of Two Theisms" (pp. 77-108). I hope in the course of these posts to show classical theism is a force to be reckoned with, and that at least these of its contemporary critics are not putting up adequate arguments against it.

For a nice refutation of Roger Olson's recent polemics against classical theism, see this post by Ed Feser.